With the up and coming warming weather and precipitation in the forecast I can't help but think back onto my childhood and the things my father taught me. He would always say that we could start hunting for mushrooms as soon as it warmed up and we had enough moisture in the ground to allow them to pop up overnight. We would scramble through the woods looking high and low for them and some years we would finds 3 or 4 grocery bags full and others we would be lucky to fill one, but that wasn't what mattered now that I look back onto it. Ive now come to the realization that those are memories I will always hold with my dad and the campground that we belonged to were we would go about hunting for them. This wasn't the only thing he taught me about nature though, when camping we could spend hours on a little 10 foot john boat fishing our hearts away.
Children now a days don't get to experience all of this stuff with their parents because they are all so wrapped up in some electronic device what seems to be 24/7. I think parents need to start regulating the time children spend in front of a television, playing video games, or watching videos through their phone and take them outside to show them what they can do to entertain themselves. The way they act now they won't have those special memories like I do of my childhood with my father that I hold onto so closely. I guess since I will be leaving a little over a year for a different college it makes me look back onto my childhood and all my memories and then compare them to my brothers who are victim of the electronics era.
I feel parents should try to implement nature in our children's lives and show them how much stuff their is to do if they would venture away from the television and step outside. It can't be healthy for a child to sit in front of some electronic device for 6+ hours a day like my brothers do. I wish they would get up and go outside and do something but they have fallen victim to the era that never wants to go out and do anything that involves physical labor, so they'll rot their brains inside staring at a screen. Children need to experience the outdoors with their family like I have because their family isn't always going to be there, so it would leave them with some fond memories such as the ones I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment