Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Portraying Nature the Wrong Way?

Are our current generations parents portraying the outdoors in the wrong way making kids think it is a bad place to go. Many kids haven't fully experienced nature but would prefer to be glued to a television screen inside somewhere. Although are these kids to blame? Many parents are very protective of their kids and preach to them about the dangers of being outdoors like pedophiles, rapist, and getting hurt. This makes the kids want to go outside less and less because of all the images that are being put into their head. I think my age group was the last to really experience what nature was, not as much as generations before me who could leave home in the morning as long as they were back by dinner. Now you can hardly leave the yard without the eyes of your parents on you. This limits the amount of things you can do but even then they are limited more because if they aren't safe then the child will be scolded. I like the example I've heard were parents preach for their kids to go climb trees but not to high because they could get hurt. I think parents need to relax a little so that kids will willing go outside. I've seen it with my family my brothers won't go outside unless forced compared to me who spends all my time outside. They have tons of free time but they use all of it to play video games and with what free time I do have I use it to do something outside, even if it involves hard labor i'd rather be outside doing that than stuck indoors. Its sad to see newer generations appreciate nature less and less because of the ideas that we are putting into their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment